Day 20: 3 Excellent WordPress Security Plugins
Secure WordPress is yet another fantastic free WordPress plugin that provides a quick and easy tightening of security. This WordPress plugin is a must for every WordPress website.
- Removes error-information on login-page
- Adds index.php plugin-directory (virtual)
- Removes the wp-version, except in admin-area
- Removes Really Simple Discovery
- Removes Windows Live Writer
- Removes core update information for non-admins
- Removes plugin-update information for non-admins
- Removes theme-update information for non-admins (only WP 2.8 and higher)
- Hides wp-version in backend-dashboard for non-admins
- Removes version on URLs from scripts and stylesheets only on frontend
- Blocks any bad queries that could be harmful to your WordPress website
WP Security Scan
While Secure WordPress has a passive method of improving WordPress security, WP Security Scan takes a more active approach to WordPress Security. While there is a little bit of an overlap between the plugins, they are still both excellent WordPress plugins to have.
- File permissions
- Database security
- Version hiding
- WordPress admin protection/security
- Removes WP Generator META tag from core code
With features like active backups, regular security scans, activity logs, disaster recovery, and even performance auditing. However, these features come at a monthly price.
Secure WordPress and WP Security Scan are no brainers for any WordPress website to improve security. For those who have a more upscale website with a little extra cash to ensure a WordPress website’s safety, VaultPress is clearly the way to go.
Don’t know how to install WordPress plugins? Check out our video tutorial showing how to use WordPress plugins.
31 Days to a Better WordPress Blog
This post is apart of the 31 Days to a Better WordPress Blog series. Be sure to subscribe via RSS, follow on Twitter, follow on Facebook, or circle us on Google+ to keep up with wpLifeGuard’s latest WordPress and blogging tips and tricks.